Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Back from hiatus!

Hey all!
Sorry I haven't posted in a long, long time, it's been a huge transitional period for my life, but things are gettin' back to normal, so I knew it was time to start posting again!

In my TF2 world, things haven't changed much, but I've been playing more and more 6v6 and less pubbing, so I'm going to start posting more about that. Hopefully, for those of you who are coming to this site for its pubbing tips, these articles will give you a bit of a jumping off points. 6v6 TF2 play is incredibly fun, if you know some basics. It's much like the first time you picked up this game--the learning curve is pretty harsh, but when you get the hang of things, it's freaking addicting.

Anyhow, here are two things that I want to touch on briefly, before the meat of the posts comes up starting tomorrow (scout guide! roaming soldier guide! the demoman's mentality on the mid fight!)


1. Sensitivity
This is a hot topic in any FPS: "what sensitivity is the best to play at?"
Lots of people say "whatever you want, just stick with it." It's a pretty controversial topic, so I'm not going to advise anyone to do anything, but I want to share my observation, and let y'all be the judge.

I played FOREVER with a 3" 360 (translated: when I moved my mouse three inches to the left or right, I had done a complete 360 ingame). This translates to a relatively high sensitivity (your actual sensitivity is a mixture of the mouse's DPI, your operating system's sensitivity, and your ingame sensitivity, as well as mouse filters and acceleration), which I for two years preferred. It allowed me, as soldier, to perform rocket jumps very easily, and because of the skill level I played at, missing frequently wasn't something I would get punished for ingame.

Within the last month, I got a new computer and mouse, and decided to try out a much lower sensitivity (8" 360, approximately). The results have been fairly drastic: in pubbing, I have consistently maintained at least a  5:1 k:d ratio. In comp play, my consistency has really improved. I rocket jump much better, I land many more direct rockets on my targets, and my shotgun aim has improved. As scout and sniper, I've developed much better aim.

That's my experience. Make of it what you will.


2. MGE Practice

I've started playing MGE mod a lot more, not because of the insane ego fix, but because I like the fast-paced, 1v1 style. I don't like to talk ingame when MGE-ing except for a "gg" because people get offended very easily, but here's my take on it.

  • Nothing in MGE is "cheap." The soldier who shotguns you and stops you dead in the air while you jump to spire time and time again is using a perfectly legitimate tactic, one you could see in a match. Many people complain about "gay" tactics like shooting at ground targets while on spire/crates, but this is also something you'd see in a match. It makes you much better to practice realistically.
  • It's not enough to just win every round at MGE. If you can 20-0 someone, they're not at your skill level; it makes no sense to play them. The matches you improve most on are the close ones, where you have to apply creativity and precision to win.
  • There is no shame  in MGE. Losing does not make you bad at TF2. On the flip side, winning does not make you good.


More to come tomorrow! Welcome back everybody!

2 comments:

  1. you need to stop talking shit for being a huge pussy. also youre terrible at this game.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you thought about this article! Your feedback helps me write more helpful articles!